Submitted by [weblo] on 2007-07-12 10:57:32
- 1 can of black beans, drained and semi-mashed with a fork.
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten.
- 1 cup of dry bread crumbs.
- 1 8 oz can of crushed green chilies.
- 1 small, chopped onion (or half a regular size onion)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or mont. jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- pepper (to taste)
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- mix well.
- patty burgers (the fun/messy part!).
- grease skillet with pam AND a bit of olive oil.
- pan sear each side about 5 minutes each over medium heat, until dark/brownish on each side, to assure that they’ll stay together.
- melt cheese (i recommend swiss!) over burger last 2 minutes of pan-seering the second side.
serve on a toasted wheat bun with whatever sides you prefer, though i must warn you, your standard beef burger toppings will probably overpower the bean burger, ketchup and mustard especially, as it’s much more of a mild, healthy taste than cow burger.
some recommendations: avocado/guacamole, tomato, a mild salsa, tomatoes, onions, spinach/lettuce, and maybe mayo if that’s you bag.
makes 6 good sized patties.
make ‘em in bulk and freeze ‘em if you wish.